Aims of Internship
The aims of this programme is to provide interns with the opportunity to:
- Gain an insight into teaching as a profession
- Develop an understanding of effective classroom practice
- Share their passion for their subject with students
- Have a positive impact on students learning
Structure of the Internship
Interns will spend the first day of their internship at Exeter Mathematics School (EMS), completing inductions activities and training, including safeguarding. Each intern will be assigned member of the EMS teaching team as a mentor who will meet with them at induction and visit them on placements.
The following three weeks will be spent in two placement schools. During each placement, interns will have the opportunity to observe teaching, support students one-to-one, teach episodes of lessons and become involved in the broader life of the school. A Subject Champion from the placement school will support the interns, ensuring they gain the maximum benefit from the experience.
In the final week of the internship, participants will return to EMS to take part in further training, including learning about the routes into teaching and attending our PhysMaths teacher conference.
Placement Schools will provide:
- A Subject Champion who will take responsibility for supervising the intern whilst on placement
- A structured induction to the school
- A timetable which has between 15 -18 hours of classroom based experience
- A range of experiences whilst on placement
EMS / West Country Teaching School Alliance (WCTSA) will provide:
- Overview training
- A mentor
- Quality assurance process
- Enrichment activities
Interns must commit to full attendance to be able to take part in the internship.
For Physics and Mathematics interns, a payment of £1200 will be made at the conclusion of the internship if there has been full attendance. A pro-rata reduction will be made for days missed.
We have an additional internship for Computer Science but have not received funding for this post and are therefore unable to make any payments. We hope the opportunity will be beneficial in supporting a potential Computer Science teacher and are committed to supporting the successful intern to get into teaching.